20040823: IDV - NetCDF grid file sample

>From: "Yunheng Wang" <address@hidden>

Hi-

>Institution: CAPS, University of Oklahoma
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: Linux
>Hardware Information: Intel Xeon
>Inquiry: Could you provide me some samples of NetCDF grid files which are supp
> orted by IDV?
>
>I am interesting to create IDV compatible NetCDF grid files. The conventions (
> CF1.0 or COARDS) do not seem clear enough to address my data requirements. My
>  data will be in a 3 dimensional regular grid just as WRF grid.

What in CF will not work for your data?  Are you using staggered grids?  If
you are not using staggering, then I think the CF could be used.  Could
you please elaborate on your data?

>It is also good if you can provide me some instructions about how to change WR
> F outputs to be IDV compatible. Some samples on a similar grid will be the be
> st.

We are working to add support for WRF version 2.0 netCDF output to the
IDV.  At this point, the IDV 1.1 version has minimal support and we are
debugging the problems we've seen.  Most of the problems with the WRF netCDF
output is the use of non-standard unit specifications and inadequate projection
information.

You can find a sample file at:

ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/dmurray/wrfout_v2_Lambert.nc

>Thank you very much.

Don Murray