20040812: IDV and Solaris x86

>From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>

Hi Robert-

>I know that Solaris x86 won't run IDV right now because Sun never releases
>Java 3D for it..
>but I was wondering with the open sourcing of Java 3D have you heard any
>efforts to port it to Solaris
>x86?   Sun seems to be fully behind Solaris x86 now and is shipping Solaris
>x86
>workstations..but nobody can seem to give me info on Java 3D.

I don't know of anyone working on this.  I looked at the Java 3D
developer website recently and there didn't seem to be any talk
about X86.

Solaris X86 version 10 is supposed to support Linux binaries.  It
might be that the Java3D for Linux coupled with Mesa 3D would
work on version 10.  We are going to investigate that route.

>I was also wondering about the future of Java 3D in IDV since it isn't being
>developed anymore, AFAIK.  Is there a thought to move to something else?

We've talked about a JOGL (Java for OpenGL) port of VisAD, but that
would be quite an undertaking and JOGL is still a project in flux.
Java 3D isn't going away, so we don't have plans to move elsewhere.
Even with JOGL, you'd need some sort of OpenGL for X86.  Perhaps Mesa
would work then.

Don