20040810: IDV View menu, 2d plots default to bottom of box

>From: "Stuart Wier" <address@hidden>

Hi Stu-

>Institution: UNAVCO
>Package Version: 1.1b3
>Operating System: linux
>Hardware Information: intel
>Inquiry: It would be an improvement if the Viewpoint Scale (and perhaps the Vi
> ewpoint Dialog option) were in the first View pull down menu, rather than hav
> ing to go down 2 levels.  Especially since the other items (point of view box
> es) on that second level View menu are usually in the main window.

We'll consider this request for our TODO list.  Another option might
be to add icons to the Viewpoint toolbar since that is what you get
from the Viewpoint menu.

>Inquiry: If the IDV box is set with values for below-surface data, for
>example M in -300 and Max 0.0, as is the case in oceanography or solid
>earth geophysiscs, and then you display a 2d plot with no level in the
>data, such as GFS model anal ysis surface pressure, the plot appears in
>the bottom of the box (300 km below t he surface) and there is no way to
>move it to the top.
>The 2d plot control windows might have a way to change the plot position
>level in the box.

As you know, layering of data is already on the TODO list.  This is
another example of why it is necessary.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will respond to your shape question next
week after we get the release out.  In the mean time, I suggest drawing
a box and plotting the points to see if you can make sense of what
the points are.  The box will go from -1 to 1 in every direction.
I know that helped me understand it.

Don Murray