20040707: IDV - linux - adding new classes to the IDV

Inquiry: I want to add new files (classes) to the
package ucar.unidata.ui.symbol. The new java file is present but when I do ant idvjars it is not complied and included. If I try javac on the file I get error messages like "package ucar.unidata.ui.drawing does not exist." How do I check in the new classes to the idv?

Hi Stu,
First of all I would suggest that, for your Unavco work, that you have a separate package structure, e.g.,
edu.unavco.idv. ...
and place your new code there. We are not set up right now to include code developed elsewhere. Plus,
I am guessing that this new symbol is Unavco specific?

The likely reason your new class is not getting compiled is that it does not get referenced anywhere. If you look at the ucar/build.xml file under the idv target you will see that we only compile code under the unidata/idv, unidata/data and unidata/apps package. The reason the symbol classes get compiled in the ui/symbol package is that they are each explicitly referenced by the ucar.visad.display.StationModelDisplayable class.

If you are going to put your new code under the ucar package (which I would strongly discourage) you could add a line the the idv target in build.xml that will include the ui/symbol directory.

p.s. - The latest version of the IDV (which will be released in the beginning of August) has a facility to define your own symbols and incorporate them into the Station Model Editor. You still need to create a new class but this gives you a way to seamlessly add in that class to the editor and have it used by the StationModelDisplayable.

-Jeff