20040413: viewing archival data in IDV

>From: Karthik Samudram Jayaraman <address@hidden>

Hi Karthik-

>I had got some archival data from ncdc.noaa.gov for one of our
>student's project  here at western Michigan University. the request
>number was The request number is HAS000097711.
>
>I had downloaded the data from ncdc's ftp site onto our
>s400.wood.wmich.edu. The tar files that I had downloaded is
>available in /cutrim1/projdata/beth.
>
>Then I used "tar -xvf filename.tar" command to untar the file. Then
>I got a series of .Z ( compressed file ). I uncompressed all these
>using "uncompress" command.
>
>These files are now in folder /cutrim1/projdata/beth/firsttarfile.

This sounds like the correct thing to do.  The only suggested
change would be to name the directory for the files with the
4 letter ID of the radar station.  If there are data for
multiple stations, you will need to separate them into different
directories.  The problem is that the Level II radar files have
no location information in them.

>When I transferred this file from the s400 to our PCs and I opened
>one of them using IDV, I get a message saying that '...This data is
>not compatible with "VisADDataSource" data family'.
>
>I repeated the process twice / thrice ( to make sure that the file
>was not corrupted during transfer). But still Iam getting the same
>error.
>
>Could you help me in identifying the problem ( or my mistake?) .

Use the Level II Radar selector under the Radar Data tab in the
Data Source Selector instead of the File/URL chooser.  If you
don't use the id for the directory name, you will need to select
the station from the list in the Level II chooser.

Don Murray