20040406: Two questions about IDV

>From: "wkleong" <address@hidden>

Hi Ivan-

>     How are you?  My name is Ivan Leong who is working in Macao =
>Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau.
>Actually, we've installed IDV for a period and that is very useful for =
>us.  But we meet two problems as below,

We are glad that you find the IDV useful.  One thing that would
help us answer questions would be to let us know which version
of the IDV you are running (see the Help->About IDV menu item
for this information) and on what platform (windows, Linux, etc)
you are running.

>1. According to the IDV user guide, we can save some settings(color
>table, map projection, source file,etc) into a bundle file before we
>exit IDV. When we restart IDV, we can load the bundle file conveniently.
>It is very useful for us and our meteorological operator no need to
>repeat the same setting every day. But at the same time, we also meet
>a problem. How can we load the bundle file but change the source file
>simultaneously. It is because we just want to remain the setting(color
>tables, viewpoint,etc) but not the daily changed source file.

What type of data are you using?  Are you loading in grids from
netCDF files on disk? If so, could you create a link between the
latest data available and a file called "latest" or something
like that.  This link would need to be updated each time you create a
new grid file, but if the bundle points to that link, you should
get the latest data (in theory at least. ;-)).  If there are
other datasets that you are dealing with, please let us know.

>2. When we want to see the wind speed element, we can choice them in
>streamline display or wind barb display individually. But when we want
>to see both of them at the same time (overlap), we  can't, even we
>choice them independently.

The latest version of the IDV should support this if you have one
display of wind barbs and one display of streamlines.  If you have
more than 2 displays of wind barbs/vectors/streamlines, every other
one you add will share its state with second most recent version.
Unfortunately, this is a "feature" of the underlying VisAD display
system which only allows 2 unique vector displays.

>Thanks for your kind assistance.

You are welcome.

Don Murray