20040302: Radar charts

>From: "Allen Becker" <address@hidden>

Allen-

>I have downloaded and started to use the fine IDV software.  I have a =
>special consulting meteorological case, and would like to be able to =
>print some radar charts.  Unfortunately, the NCDC's data disk for this =
>matter has become corrupted.=20
>
>But, I have downloaded the NCDC's Level II data files for the period in =
>question, and have actually been able to view them, to some extent, =
>using your IDV program.

Which version of the IDV are you using? The 1.1 beta 2 version has
much better support for Level II data than 1.0.1.

>The specific question is this:   I would really like to have nice =
>printed copies of the radar charts.  Is this something that your group =
>can do (at a charge), or can you direct me to a company that might =
>provide this service (since the NCDC has fallen down on this particular =
>matter).

We don't do that and I don't know of a company that would.  For printing
in the IDV, we usually save the displays as JPEGs (View->Capture->Save as
JPEG... menu) and then print the image from another application.

>Any information you can provide is appreciated.
>
>A related question:  the IDV radar images I view show State/Lake =
>Michigan outlines, but in somewhat crude form.  Is there any way to get =
>these reference lines in more detail (ie, a better map overlay/underlay) =
>?

If you go to the Maps->Map Selector menu, you can toggle on the Hi-Res US
and the U.S. County Outlines maps to get better images.  If you had
some Shapefile maps over that area, you could add those through the
shapefile display.

>thanks very much,

You're welcome

>Allen J. Becker