20040226: IDV - WIN2000 - netCDF files from ECMWF

>From: "Dr. Hans-Juergen Panitz" <address@hidden>

Hello-

>Institution:  Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe / IMK, Germany
>Package Version: 1.1b2
>Operating System: WIN2000
>Hardware Information: 1 GB Processor
>Inquiry: I downloaded a 3-D  netCDF file (1day, 6-hourly air temperatures on p
> ressure levels) from the ECMWF ERA-40 server (40 years ECMWF reanalyses).
>
>The IDV cannot work with the data.
>After  choosing the file the button "3D Grid"
>shows the entries "temperature" and  "Derived".
>Taking "Temperature" the pull down menue to choose the different chart types o
> pens.
>
>Choosing anyone of these alwas the message
>
>"Unable to make a Field from data with parameter name :t"
>
>What is the problem?

I'm not sure at this point.

>Can't IDV b e applied with ECMWF dats?

It would depend on the format of the netCDF files.  While the IDV
supports many netCDF conventions, not all netCDF files adhere to
conventions.

>I attached the ncdump output of my test file.

The attachment was empty, so I'm not sure what the structure of the
file is.  Could you resend and cc: to address@hidden?

Thanks.

Don Murray