20040106: IDV - Redhat 7.2 vs Fedora - Works on Redhat 7.2, not on Fedora

>From: "Kyle Lerman (working with Mike Voss)" <address@hidden>

Hi Kyle-

>Institution: San Jose State University
>Package Version: 1.1b2
>Operating System: Redhat 7.2 vs Fedora
>Hardware Information: 1.4GHz AMD, 1GB RAM vs 2.1GHz P3, 1GB RAM
>
>Inquiry: When installing the IDV on the Redhat 7.2 system, I used the
>InstallAnywhere version 1.1b2 file and installing and running the
>program worked just fine on the first try. When on the Fedora system,
>the installation doesn't give any errors, but when I try to launch the
>IDV, I get two messages. The first appears when the splash screen says
>"Creating User Interface" and the error is "An error has occured in
>getViewManager. Canvas3D: null GraphicsConfiguration." After I push OK,
>I get the second error message "An error has occured initializing the
>GUI null." After I push OK again, the Data Selector screen loads, but
>the main IDV window does not. Whenever I try to display data by clicking
>Create Display, I get error messages, usually the same as the ones I get
>trying to load the IDV. I have tried the InstallAnywhere files and also
>have tried downloading them manually. I appreciate any help you could
>offer!

The error messages indicate that Java 3D is either not installed
or is having problems running under Fedora.  I just tried installing
IDV from the InstallAnywhere installer under Fedora and it worked
so at least it can run under Fedora. ;-)

How are you starting the IDV?  Are you using the runIDV script
supplied with the InstallAnywhere distribution or some other way?
If you are running the runIDV script out of a terminal window,
are there any error messages (Java stack traces) in the terminal
window?

During the install, there should be a directory created with Java
and Java 3D.  The runIDV script points to that directory when invoking
Java.  If the install worked correctly, then you should have
a "jre" directory with Java and Java3D.

I suspect the problem is that Java 3D does not like your Fedora
installation.  There have been some issues with nVidia cards
and the installation usually needs some tweaking.  What kind
of video card are you using?

Don Murray