20031202: Linux IDV 1.1b2 vs 1.0.1

>From: address@hidden

Hi Tony-

>I'm still trying to diagnose why I can't get the data type tabs to appear in t
> he Data Source Selector window of 1.1b2 on my Linux machine. The only tab tha
> t appears is Files/URLs - and without the others, I can't access data on remo
> te servers. Is there another way to select a data source beside using the tab
> s?

Not really.  It'd be like running NMAP without it's data selector. ;-)

>Here are a few other observations:
>
>Version 1.0.1 works fine on the Linux machine.
>I've uninstalled 1.1b2 twice and re-installed it with no luck.
>1.1b2 works fine on my Windows machine.

The main difference that might affect you is that the 1.0.1 version
runs Java 1.3 and the 1.1b2 version runs Java 1.4.

Here's something to try.  If you have uninstalled the 1.0.1 version
on Linux reinstall it.  Also have the 1.1b2 version installed.

Go into the directory where 1.1b2 is installed and copy runIDV
to runIDV2.  Edit runIDV2 and change:

./jre/bin/java ....

to:

<location of 1.0.1>/jre/bin/java

(ex: /home/rockwooa/IDV_1.0.1/jre/bin/java)

Then try running runIDV2 and see if the data selector tabs appear.

>1.0.1 installer came with an executable desktop icon; 1.1b2 doesn't.

On Windows right?  The problem with that was that having that icon
created an executable which was problematic.  If you go to the
Start->Programms menu you should see an entry for the Integrated Data
Viewer.  The pull-right menu for that should show entries for
IDV and Globe IDV.  With the former executable, we could only have
the one entry.  You can make a shortcut on your desktop by right
clicking on either item and selecting the Send To -> Desktop
menu.  You can do this for both of them if you want.

>Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Let me know if the above suggestions help.

Don Murray