20031125: V5D files.

>From: Bernard Mendiburu <address@hidden>

Hi Bernard-

The problem with the Vis5D file using the Linear coordinates is that
the vertical dimension does not get mapped to Altitude. In the IDV, the
main display has mappings that are basically Latitude to Y, Longitude
to X and Altitude to Z. In a Vis5D file, you basically have (row, col,
height) as the 3 dimensions. The Vis5DForm which creates a VisAD object
out of this data usually adds in a CoordinateSystem such that (row, col,
height) ==> (latitude, longitude, altitude). However, with type 0, it
ends up as (row, col, height) ==> (latitude, longitude, GENERIC_REAL) so
there is no mapping to Altitude. If you use the OmniControl in the IDV,
then you can see the data because you can map GENERIC_REAL to Z. In the
IDV's main window, you don't have that type of control since it is meant
to handle only georeferenced data.

I'm discussing this issue with Bill Hibbard (Vis5D, VisAD creator) and
trying to get it so we have the correct mappings.

For now, I would say use something other than type 0 if you can until we
can (hopefully) get this fixed.

Don Murray
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support