20031107: mantle shear-wave tomography model for the IDV

To: <address@hidden>
From: "Gregory Bensen" <address@hidden>
Subject: IDV problem

Hi Greg-

This is Greg Bensen with UNAVCO and I've been working on reformatting
another mantle shear-wave tomography model for the IDV.  So far, I've
had success with the one you've helped me with and also another model
from Harvard up to a depth of 2500km or so (to the core mantle
boundary).  The model I'm working on now has required a good bit of
reformatting and it should be close.

As for the file format:
47988 lines total
22 lines of header info
1 line at the end '}'
leaving 47965 lines = 181X265
each line has 21 values (differing depths)
there are 181 lat points and
265 lon point

A possible error source is that I represented null values with '0'  in
the past I had used '_'
Also, I've been working on a different computer and the ncgen and ncdump
functions may be different.
Still, after creating the file in ASCII, both ncgen and ncdump worked
fine and from what I can see from the ncdump, there are no major
glitches.

I'm working with the install anywhere version 1.0.1 of the IDV and the
error log is below.  I would be glad to get you the .nc file if you need
it.

I really appreciate any help you can offer.

The error looks like one of the coordinate variables (probably
lat/lon/depth or time) is not ordered correctly.  Coordinate variables
have to be either increasing or decreasing.  What error indicates
is that this is not the case in your dataset.  They usually shouldn't
have missing values either.

Error log:

Decoding xml
An exception has occurred
ControlDescriptor.Creating display
Gridded3DSet: samples do not form a valid grid
(1,0,0)visad.SetException: Gridded3DSet: samples do not form a valid
grid (1,0,0)
           at visad.Gridded3DSet.<init>(Gridded3DSet.java:221)
           at visad.GriddedSet.create(GriddedSet.java:218)
           at visad.GriddedSet.create(GriddedSet.java:154)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.getSpatialDomainSet(GeoGridAdapter
.java:482)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.<init>(GeoGridAdapter.java:184)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.makeFieldImpl(GeoGridDataSource
.java:361)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.getDataInner(GeoGridDataSource.
java:328)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:669)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:109)
           at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:369)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:118)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:110)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.init(GridDataInstance.java:135)
           at
ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:113
)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.GridDisplayControl.doMakeDataInstance(GridDispl
ayControl.java:154)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.j
ava:1096)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.setData(PlanViewControl.java:20
8)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.ContourPlanViewControl.setData(ContourPlanViewC
ontrol.java:101)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.init(PlanViewControl.java:184)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java
:1161)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java
:480)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:26
9)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.access$000(ControlDescriptor.java:63)
           at
ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:254)
           at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$1.run(Misc.java:976)

Don