20030808: Plotting points in IDV (cont.)

Hi Kevin-

Petty Kevin wrote:
 I have been busy with other stuff for a couple of days, so I have not
had a chance to respond. To answer your questions...

1. Yes, the file (myidv.properties) is accessible from the machine
   I am running IDV on. I'm running IDV on the computer that the file is
located on and
   from my own account (user:"petk").

2. Yes, the file does exist and it is found in the path specified in the
JNLP file.

3. I made sure to check the file (location, spelling, permissions, etc.)

4. The file is located on the local file system.

Well, I had to ask. ;-)

Something interesting though...I tried having the file on the local file
system and
on the web server. In both cases, I get the same error. Strange!
"Could not open  property file: /home/petk/IDV/myidv.properties"

and

"Could not open  property file: http://172.23.20.109/IDV/myidv.properties";

The machine I'm running on is not "open" to the internet. It is only
accessible from
our local network. Could that have something to do with it? I don't really
know the inner-workings of IDV, so forgive me if this is way off the mark.

Okay, I missed something in your previous note (knew I should have
looked closer).  The error is erroneous (or at least misleading). ;-)
In your JNLP file, change:

       <application-desc main-class="ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv">
        <argument>-properties</argument>
        <argument>/home/petk/IDV/myidv.properties</argument>
       <security>

to:

       <application-desc main-class="ucar.unidata.idv.DefaultIdv">
        <argument>-properties</argument>
        <argument>/home/petk/IDV/myidv.properties</argument>
       </application>
       <security>

(the closing tag: </application> is missing).

I deleted this tag in my test and got the same error.   What was
happening is that since there is no closing application tag, then
the security tag is ignored.  The security tag allows the program
to access local resources like files (gets around the applet
security).  Since it was ignored, WebStart said "hey, I don't have
permission to open a local file", so it gave you the error
saying that.

Sorry for the bum steer.  If you are still having problems with
this, let me know.  In the next release, it'll be a little easier
to add in your own properties and we're putting it on our task
list to make it even easier for future releases.

Don Murray
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support