Re: 20030708: Problem in IDV download

Anil,

Very nice to have you using the IDV!

The problem you describe is new to me so we will have to work through
this matter carefully.

The web page for the installer file for the IDV is
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewsdownload&sid=16
You will need to log in to this web site, which you must already know
about.

Choose the installer for your computer -- Linux, Solaris, or Windows.

Download and save the installer file on your computer using the "Save
the link" command (or something like that).

Check to see the file name stored on your system is the same as the name
shown on the web page, for example,
idv_1_0_solaris_sparc_installer.bin for Solaris or
idv_1.0_windows_i586_installer.exe for Windows.

Note the size of the file you received.

Please tell me the name of the file and the size you received. Other IDV
users are getting installer files from this web page with no trouble
reported.

I also include some material below that tells about downloading troubles
others have had.  If you are able to download some  (but not all) of the
file, this is not the cause.

Best regards,

Stuart Wier

Usually an inability to download the IDV and other Unidata software is
due to a mismatch between your forward and  reverse DNS entries. This is
a DNS issue on your end. When your DNS permits reverse name lookup from
Unidata you should be able to download Unidata software.

Both our web server and the one trying to download Unidata software has
a "name" (domain name or host name or server  name) and an "IP address"
which is numbers. For example the address 198.95.251.10 is the same as
the server with name  ns.netscape.com.

As a security measure many servers only reply to requests from systems
whose address can be matched to a name using "DNS reverse lookup " -
turning the numbers into a name.

"Forward lookups" find the IP address of any given host name, The
reverse action is resolving IP addresses into host names. Some servers
will not pass data to systems where IP addresses do not resolve to host
names. This is to prevent a  denial of service attack by someone sending
many requests from bogus IP addresses. (A denial of service attack
forces a server to handle so many requests that it becomes overloaded).
The reverse lookup zone files in the DNS provide the way  in which the
IP-address to hostname resolution takes place. Some web servers do not
have reverse DNS lookups set up  properly, or enabled. When Unidata gets
a download request from a remote server the reverse lookup is attempted.
If it   fails, no software is sent to the requesting IP address.

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: Anil Kumar <address@hidden>
> >Subject: Problem in IDV
>
> Respected sir,
>    i am anil from india two week back i have attended expanding horizon
> workshop. i am trying to download the installable file
> but the file is not downloading, i think installable file size is 30MB and
> when i download on my machine it will show only 3 MB file size, i don't
> know how to install, can you please give me links and what my system needs
> for
> that.
>
> Thanking you
> Anil
>
>  ----------------------------------------------------------------
> Anil Kumar                        |   Residence Address:       |
> Researcher(M.Tech)                |
> Mathematical Modelling(ISRO)      |S/o Hari Shanker            |
> Dept. of Physics,                 |S.No 165, Gurudwara Colony  |
> University of Pune,               |Lohegaon                    |
> Pune-411007.                      |Pune-411047                 |
> Phone. 020-5697752                |Res ph : 020-6691217        |
> E-mail- address@hidden  | address@hidden     |

> ------- End of Forwarded Message

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service