20030425: IDV 1.0b6 station model plotting

Tom-

Tom Whittaker wrote:
First off, thanks for fixing the wind flag location problem -- seems to
be fixed.

That was weird, but I just stumbled on a fix.  I'm glad it's fixed
for you also.

Questions/comments:

1.  why are there so many stations with no pressure plotted?

The pressure variable being used in the METAR station plot
is PRE.  Perhaps more sites use PSL.  Try creating a new
Station Model and use PSL as the pressure variable and see
if you get more plots like you would expect.

2.  why is there no cloud cover info shown?

Because McIDAS does not store cloud cover as octets, but
as 0,1,2,3.  Using these values would give bogus octet
depictions.

3.  when I make a new station model 'form', everything
    seems to work great...except font resizing.  I even tried
    stopping and starting the IDV, but my "increase font size" on
    the temperature and dew point, for example,
    does not seem to affect the plot (it does show up in the
    station model maker widget, though).

A bug, and we'll look into it.

4.  If I'm zoomed over southern Wisconsin (or central CO, I guess),
    then I Clear All Displays, then I "Create Display" of the
    data I just removed, the font size that it tries to use
    (zoomed in over S. WI...it does not reset the map) is about
    the size of Cleveland.  If I reset my map to be N. America,
    then it uses a reasonable size font.

Yes, you've reported this problem before ;-) and it is still
a bug.  I will have Stu add it to the list of known bugs.
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to talk to Tom Rink about
how he solved this problem for the contour labels, but I
think I will have to do something similar.

5.  The re-draw when zooming/unzooming to declutter is great...even on my
    little 900mHz machine...good show!

That's good to know.

BTW, the smaller Data Selector widget is lookin' really
good....excellent job, folks!

Thanks.  Let us know if you find any other anomalies.

BTW, try displaying an RH isosurface colored by temperature
or a windspeed colored by geopotential height.  It's kinda
cool.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm