Re: 20030422: IDV problems from a new user

Eric,

Welcome to IDV!

> I'am a new user of Unidata IDV. I try to install java
> web start on my pc (with windows system) and when I
> try to launch the application from your site, it
> doesn't work.

Do you have any error messages?  Please send them if you have errors.

In almost all cases running the IDV with Web Start on Windows works very
well,
but in a few cases it does not work at all, as you experienced. We need
to find why this happens so anything you can tell us will help.

Have you used Web Start to run other software? Do you have a recent
version of Web Start? What version of windows are you using? Does
anyhting ahppen at all when you try to start the IDV?

> Then I have installed directly the IDV on my computer.
> Everything works well exept that I can't connect to
> the different servers.

I believe you are using the IDV InstallAnywhere installer files, yes?
The installer files are for those who do not get the Web Start IDV to
work.
Either way, it is the same IDV.

Usually not getting data from the servers is due to a firewall on your
system.
If you have a firewall and you try to get data from the Unidata ADDE
servers such as adde.ucar.edu, papagayo.unl.edu, cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu,
weather2.admin.niu.edu, and stratus.al.noaa.gov, you may get error
messages such as "Error opening connection ... Operation timed out" or
"No Data Available."
For ADDE servers to send you data you need to make sure
ports 500 and 503 are open on your firewall.

If this does not describe your system and does not solve your problem,
please send any error messages you get when trying to access the
servers.

We are interested in how the IDV is being used and would like to hear
how you plan to use the IDV. This is merely for our own interest and
please do not bother to say unless you care to.

We will release a new version of the IDV around 30 April.

cheers

Stuart Wier

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service