IDV for EMEP

Heiko,

> worked very well. When we tried to open the daily data of a component
> for one year, we seem to hit a memory limit of 66MB in IDV (read digits,
> 90% - 99%). On Linux, the Xserver (Xfree 4.1.0.1) gets quite huge, and
> the machine starts swapping, whereas Windows XP is still working without
> any problems. Both machines have 512MB memory, but I haven't been able
> to find out how to increase the stack-size of the VM.

Do you see the 66MB memory limit on both Linux and Windows?
You are using the installer files from the ftp site, correct?
Are you starting the IDV with the ./runIDV script on Linux and the
runIDV.bat file on Windows?
runIDV says jre/bin/java -Xmx512m -jar idv.jar, so the memory limit is
supposed to be 512 megs

I have no idea why you are seeing a memory limit so low.
This certainly is not expected and a major problem and I will try to
resolve it soon.

> For further testing, this is not a problem.
> We can easily select only the days we are interested in.

Do you mean the problem went away, or that you are working around it?

> I hope you don't mind, when I send you
> bug/problem reports, even if this release is not official. The
> functionality seem very promising.

Thank you. We need to receive bug reports. The sooner bugs
are detected and fixed the better. And since the code is in rapid
development
and is used on many kinds of systems, new bugs will appear, official
release or not.

> Concerning the new data-selection window: it is much easier to use than
> the old data-selector. The 'Select times' window is a bit unhandy: It
> doesn't offer a easy method to select a range of times. (Usually under
> Windows, I use Ctrl-1 mouse, and drag the mouse to the end of my
> selection. I don't know if this is easy possible in SWING?) Clicking 30
> times to get a complete month isn't very easy.

Try clicking on the first time in a range, then hold down the Shift key
and click on the last time in the range.

30 time steps will use a lot of memory and take a long time to load. Are
you seeing 30 times display loops with the 66 MB memory limit?

> A feature I couldn't find in IDV yet: How do I plot my data-grid. The
> closest I get is a contour plan view, but I would like to see the data
> as is (a rectangle grid), and not outlined around the center and filled.

Do you mean you want a grid of points to show where the grid points are
located,
or a grid of lines outlining grid cells? Not to show data values?
Yes the IDV does not do this now, but we can add
it to the list of desired features. Is this very improtant for your
work?

Stuart

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service