[IDD #SET-184160]: GOES-W AREA Files

Hi Jim,

re:
> IDD NEXRAD composite images as received work fine for both McIDAS and WXP.

Excellent!  This means that both should work with the new GOES-East
CONUS images.

re:
> This was also the case for the previously discontinued data set.

Yes, that's because support for the GOES-GVAR navigation was included
in both.

re:
> >Have you taken a look at the current GOES-East CONUS images?
> Yes
>
> Yes, here is a current WXP example:
> https://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/sat/gen-wxparea-sat.cgi?re=namer&type=irE&yy=20&mm=03&dd=&hh=&nn=&ge=640x480&loop=no&lalo=none&enh=no&page=yes&id=&zoom=.6

This is not one of the new GOES-East CONUS images.  I am attaching a GIF
of today's 16:21 CONUS channel 2 (0.64um) image for comparison.  As you will
see, the current GOES-East CONUS images do not extend as far north as
the image showing in the URL you provided.

re:
> WXP can take these area files and display them in several different
> projections.

I never knew that WXP had the ability to reproject images.

re:
> This is the McIDAS example displaying the same GOES-E AREA file:
> https://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/sat/gen-wxparea-sat.cgi?re=namer&type=irE&yy=20&mm=03&dd=&hh=&nn=&ge=640x480&loop=no&lalo=none&enh=no&page=yes&id=&zoom=.6

This is the same image as the WXP display, but it also is not one of the
current GOES-East images.

re:
> >What version of McIDAS-X are you running?
> It looks like MCIDAS2009 and latest install was 2014.

This old version of Unidata McIDAS-X does _not_ contain support
for images that are in the GOES-R/S FixedGrid projection.  It also
does not support display of images from GOES-R/S (16/17).  In order
to do the kinds of remaps that we have been talking about, you will
need to upgrade your McIDAS-X installation to a current release.

I can help you with the McIDAS upgrading, etc. if you want/need.  I
would need login credentials for both 'mcidas' and 'ldm' on your
machine.  I will tell  you how to convey the information if/when
the time comes.

Ticket ID: SET-184160
Department: Support IDD