[Support #GGR-305398]: IDD data connection

Hi Frank,

re:
> The University of Michigan has been running an ldm server
> for many years and are currently accessing the following
> sites for data:
>
> WMO     idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> NEXRAD  flood.atmos.uiuc.edu
> FSL2    iita.rap.ucar.edu
> MCIDAS  idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> NLDN    striker2.atmos.albany.edu
>
> The computer that currently is running our ldm server is
> weatherlab04.engin.umich.edu and this computer is crashing
> multiple times daily.

Ouch!  I hate it when that happens ;-)

> We have recently purchased a new
> computer and have loaded LDM onto the computer.  We would
> like to be able test our new computer before putting this
> new one online and taking the other offline.  The new
> computer is:
>
> ldm.engin.umich.edu
>
> I know that UCAR prefers that a given site does not have
> multiple computers accessing the above machines due to
> bandwidth issues.  Do we need permission from anyone before
> adding the above sites to the "REQUEST" section of the
> ldmd.conf file on the new computer?

The IDD relay nodes under our control (e.g., idd.undiata.ucar.edu) are
configured so that any machine from your subdomain can request data.
The same may not, however, be true for the sites not under our control:

NEXRAD flood.atmos.uiuc.edu
FSL2 iita.rap.ucar.edu
NLDN striker2.atmos.albany.edu

> If so, who should we contact about getting permission?

The IDD site contacts are available online at:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
  TOOLS dropdown -> IDD
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idd/
    IDD current operational status
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idd/iddgeneral.html
      IDD site contact list
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idd/sitelist.html

A quick scan of the last page shows the contact at the various sites
to be:

flood.atmos.uiuc.edu        - David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>
iita.rap.ucar.edu           - Paul Prestopnik <address@hidden>
striker2.atmos.albany.edu   - David Knight    <address@hidden>

You should CC Gary Cunning <address@hidden> on your feed request to RAL (used to
be NCAR/RAP).

> I suspect that time
> period for which we are accessing the above with both
> computers will be very short.

OK.

> Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

No worries.

> frank
>
> Frank J. Marsik
> Associate Research Scientist          "We must remember that intelligence
> Dept. of Atmospheric, Oceanic          is not enough.  Intelligence  -
> and Space Sciences                  plus character - that is the goal
> 2455 Hayward, Room 2109                of true education."
> Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2143
> Phone: 734-763-5369                           - Martin Luther King, Jr.
> Fax:   734-763-0437

Ticket ID: GGR-305398
Department: Support IDD