20000706: gif driver

John,

I'd like to take a look. You can upload into ~gbuddy/incoming.

In particular, it would be nice if the xv replacements are all local so that
it drops into the 5.5 distribution without having to redo the your efforts.

As you know this would be really useful...especially given the 8 bit
color restrictions.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support