19991119: GEMPAK error (fwd)

Patrick,

Your users should launch "ntl &" first in Gempak to allocate
a shared color map which all of the programs and GUIs can
access. This also provides a convenient method for launching
the GUI programs.

Without launching ntl, other programs like web browsers and
desktop accessories can eat up available colors. Launch
ntl before netscape and other color eaters.

When you launch ntl, it will tell you if it is not able to
allocated enough colors...which would be the case of
your error message below. If you are short of
colors for some reason, you can cut down the number of colors
that GEMPAK will request. For example, GEMPAK uses 128 colors
for satellite images by default...but 64 may be enough for
most users. To launch ntl with 64 colors for satellite images,
use "ntl -s 64 &".

More information can be found at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/administration.html
and