[Datastream #IUA-546454]: Re: 20190604: major upcoming change to IDD NIMAGE datastream

Hi Pete,

re:
> I had been ingesting and playing with this test NIMAGE datastream back in
> late April,
> and was able to ingest/store/plot the data. The data is still coming in, so I
> can turn
> my saving back on and test things if you need/want.

Testing is always good and feedback that derives from the testing is most
welcome.

re:
> A few things I noticed.
>
> 1) There aren't really any good GEMPAK color tables for GOES16/17 data. At
> least not in
> the 7.5.1-1 linux distro that I'm running.
>
> The ones in there seem to be aimed at the old 8 bit pre-GOES16 images, rather
> than the
> high resolution GOES16+ data. We should figure out and create some better
> ones (or steal
> from AWIPS or somewhere?)

I will make sure that Michael sees this comment, but it might be good to open a
GEMPAK inquiry so that he is sure to notice and respond (address@hidden).

re:
> 2) If you store the data in a deep path that ends up something like
>
> /weather/data/gemdata/sat/GOES16/CloudAndMoistureImagery/Mesoscale-2/Channel01/OR_ABI-L2-CMIPM2-M6C01_G17_s20191551933570_e20191551933570_c20191551933570.nc
>
> you will run into problems with GEMPAK - there is apparently a 108 character
> limit on a
> SATFIL name:
>
> Creating process: xw for queue 65896449
> [IM -1]  Image file
> /weather//data/gemdata/sat/GOES16/CloudAndMoistureImagery/Mesoscale-2/Channel01/OR_ABI-L2-CMIPM2-M6C01_G17_s
>
> Not a show stopper, just something to be aware of, especially since the file
> names are
> so long to begin with.

This is also a GEMPAK-specific issue, so I would include it in the GEMPAK
inquiry.  It would also be good to send tips like this to the address@hidden
list as an FYI for the gembuds.

The only thing I care about is the actual file names (not pathnames) as those
follow the mission-standard naming format detailed in the PUG.

re:
> 3) Does it make sense to continue wide IDD distribution of GOES16/17 imagery
> in the
> three different formats that will be out there?
>
> SATELLITE - GRB radiances and other non-ABI products
> NOTHER - tiled CMIP products
> NIMAGE - reconstituted CMIP and other level2 products, etc
> HDS - some tiles GOES16/17 level 2 products - not sure we can separate those
> from the other gridded data on HDS - maybe collateral damage?

GEMPAK and AWIPS can each only handle the Level 2 format that will be in the
NIMAGE feed.  Other packages like McIDAS, McIDAS-V, IDV and MetPy can handle
either.  Also, some users will want the GRB imagery as those are in radiances,
not counts.

I agree that distribution of NOTHER and the L2 products in HDS is redundant.

re:
> Seems like we are wasting bandwidth by moving around lots of the same data
> twice, at
> least between NOTHER and NIMAGE..

End-users can REQUEST exactly what they want/need.  The multi-format burden is
on the data relays.  Unfortunately, I don't know any way around that.  But, I
must reiterate that it is not really the same data that is being moved twice -
the GRB data is L1b and the NIMAGE data will be L2.  I suspect that the
great majority of end-users will want to get the NIMAGE products as they are
smaller and a bit easier to use.

re:
> Anyways, my thoughts..

And they are much appreciated!!