[Datastream #CAK-379782]: lightning data

Hi Alexandra,

re:
> I work for Risk Management Solutions a company that is interested, amongst
> other things, to quantify the risk of Convective Storms in Europe and
> we are building a model for tornado, hail and straight-line winds. To
> develop our model we would greatly benefit from using lightning data.
>
> I would appreciate if you can give me any information about how can I
> obtain the lightning data.

There are several source of lightning data in the U.S., and, as far as I
know, none of these are free to the general public.  We, the Unidata
Program Center/UCAR, currently work with two of the sources of lightning
data on behalf of the U.S. education community.  One of these sources,
the University of Albany, will definitely _not_ be able to provide you
with the data that it distributes (NLDN).  The other source, WSI Corporation
does have mechanisms for providing lightning data to a variety of
customers, again on a pay basis.

The contact information for WSI is:

    * Kim Rauenzahn
    * Lightning Product Manager
    * WSI
    * address@hidden

re:
> I thanks you in advance,
> Dr. Alexandra Guerrero

No worries.  I am sorry we couldn't be of more help...

Ticket ID: CAK-379782
Department: Support Datastream