19991025: McIDAS-LDM

>From: "Pericles S. Nacionales" <address@hidden>

Pericles,

>I finally got around to making McIDAS-X work but found that I can't get
>the GOES imagery via SSEC datastream.  Or can I, with just McIDAS-X?  Do we
>need to request a license for McIDAS-LDM to have access to the data stream?
>If so, please consider this our request.

The packages you need, none of which require licenses, with relevant URLs are:

o ldm         http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm
o ldm-mcidas  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas.html

The quick overview is:

o the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream is relayed between cooperating sites
  running our LDM software; this is our Internet Data Distribution (IDD)
  system

o you must install the LDM software on a machine at your site that
  is known to the local name server:  one must be able to do a forward
  and reverse name lookup on your machine in order for the LDM to
  be able to work

o you get assigned an upstream feed site for any/all of the feeds you
  are interested in

o in order to convert imagery in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream, you must
  install the ldm-mcidas package of decoders (the imagery is handled by
  'lwtoa3')

o you must Obtain upstream data feed source (see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmConfigInstallList.html#s3)

o you must configure your LDM's ldmd.conf file to request data to be fed
  from your upstream feed site

o you must configure your LDM's pqact.conf file to process requested data
  into usable files (like imagery in McIDAS AREA files)

The LDM and ldm-mcidas packages are freely available by anonymous FTP from
our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.  The location information is:

LDM
directory: pub/ldm5  for the source distribution or
           pub/binary/<platform specific directory name>/ldm.tar.Z for
           a binary distribution

ldm-mcidas
directory: pub/ldm-mcidas  for the source distribution or
           pub/binary/<platform specific directory name>/ldm-mcidas.tar.Z
           for a binary distribution

>Thanks,

This should get you going.

>Perry Nacionales