Re: [wcsplus] Design of asynchronous request in DEWS WCS

NOTE: The wcsplus mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

So it may simply be that extraction-from-dataset-oriented services can
never be truly RESTful?

I fear so.

Having said that, if we take a feature-centric approach then one might
consider that a dataset (or "data granule" in NERC Data Grid parlance)
contains a finite number of features, each with its own id.  It might
be possible to have a RESTful approach to getting these features, but
I bet it wouldn't take long for the REST model to break down.  Is it
really possible to identify in advance all the possible features that
might be extracted from a dataset?  I doubt it, even for simple cases
such as a satellite image.

Jon

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK