[wcsplus] wcsplus initiative

NOTE: The wcsplus mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi,

Below is my revised attempt to describe the wcsplus initiative.  I'd like to
send it out to the galeon list in a day or two.   Let me know what you
think.

-- Ben

A group of GALEON Phase 1 participants who attended the OGC Interoperability
Day in Boulder came up with a few observations regarding attempts to use the
WCS specifications serve Earth science datasets traditionally made available
via in CF-netCDF/OPeNDAP/THREDDS.

-- The WCS 1.1 protocol specification is much more complex and difficult to
implement than WCS 1.0.

-- It appears that the WCS.RWG is now developing a new specification (WCS
1.2?) that will be much different from WCS 1.1.   In particular it will have
a base specification that is relatively simple and a set of extensions.

-- The CF-netCDF community would benefit from a more general (and perhaps
more complex) abstract coverage data model and a simpler protocol
specification than is available in WCS 1.1

-- One of the lessons learned from GALEON Phase 1 is that there are distinct
advantages to having communities of practice develop practical reference
implementations in parallel with RWG efforts to define specifications in
committee.

Based on these observations and follow up discussion, an initiative is
underway to start with current implementations of the WCS 1.0 protocol and
add functionality to the specification (and to the implementations) as
needed in order to serve a more diverse set of CF-netCDF/THREDDS/OPeNDAP
datasets via standard protocols.  In effect this is an effort to develop
"reference implementations" of the protocol and extensions that will
hopefully inform the committee work of the RWG.

An email list called wcsplus has been formed.  You can join the list at: