Re: [visad] Issue of overlay in visad

Hello Ankita...

1.  VisAD does not have a file adapter for XML.  There is one for text
files that are in tabular format (comma- or space-separated values).
There is a provision there for 2D "grids" of values.

2. VisAD does not have a "shape file adapter" for reading shapefiles.

3. The HDF5 capability of the build-in library is very old and has not
been maintained by the original authors (from the NSCA/HDF group).

I would suggest you look at either Unidata's "Integrated Data View
(IDV)" or the McIDAS-V applications.  Both are built on VisAD
(McIDAS-V is actually built on the IDV), but contain many more
capabilities for reading data files (such as shapefiles and HDF5
data), since they use the current NetCDF/Java library which has been
extended to include many different types of file types for reading.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

tom