Re: [visad] Migrating to Git? [was: VisAD library updated]

All,

On 3/28/12 11:41 AM, Julien Chastang wrote:
Hi All,

As Jon points out below, I maintain a Mavenized git mirror of VisAD, https://github.com/julienchastang/VisAD. Here are a few remarks about this process.

So would Maven replace Eclipse and NetBeans?  Does git/github require
Maven, is Maven free?

Because VisAD is an API, any project using that API can easily bring VisAD into their project via their pom.xml. For example, THREDDS (which was recently Mavenized itself) has a VisAD dependency. Now all THREDDS needs to do is reference the VisAD artifact in the pom.xml, and Maven will take care of the rest.

Of course, as an API most people will simply need to put visad.jar in their classpath.
Am I right?

Another advantage is you should be able to get rid of your custom ant build process.

The ant build process works very well, and we spent about a month transitioning
VisAD from CVS/make to SVN/ant.

You have to accept the way Maven does things and not fight the tool. In practice, this means adopting the sometimes awkward directory structure. Otherwise, Maven is just an exercise in frustration. "Convention over configuration" is the motto.

I'm sorry, but this statement really concerns me personally.

I had to prune some of the VisAD source tree, because there are classes that do not make it past javac. Any migration to git and mavenization would be a good opportunity to clean up some old cruft.

A migration git/github would also carry many advantages as that technology excels in promoting collaborative development. THREDDS is already seeing the benefits of git. See https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/network

We've had excellent collaborative development to date with Unidata,
ABoM, VisBIO, more recently ISRO/SAIC (India).  If git/github is superior
and easier to use than SVN, I'd be certainly willing to have a more formal
discussion on this list of making the transition.

Maven is imperfect, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. The same is true for git/github.

I'll just mention again, that McIDAS-V is still using CVS.

TomR

Just my $0.02.

-Julien