[visad] Thread interrupt to prevent OutOfMemoryError

Hello again,

depending on the User interaction and current option settings, some longer running method calls to the visad library (e.g. setReference for a 80MB Netcdf Dataset that shall be mapped to RGBA and has be opened by Plain) result in a Java OutOfMemoryError. I have a low memory notifier, that tells me, if memory usage crosses a certain threshold, allowing me to react before the error occurs. The opening and processing of the dataset happens in is own thread. Unfortunately that thread does not react to interrupt request as soon as processing has been started, so I have to kill it with the deprecated Thread.stop method, if the OutOfMemoryError is near. Is there any possibility to interrupt long running VisAD processing?

kind regards,
Bergtroll