Re: problems with DirectManipulationRendererJ3D

Hi Andrea,

The default DirectManipulationRenderer makes certain
assumptions about the structure of the linked data in
order to generate new data values as a result of user
gestures.   A polygon is too ambiguous for the default
logic and probably a "notSimpleField" or "notRealFunction"
exception is being thrown.  You could try using the
CurveManipulationRenderer class in the visad.bom
package.  I believe the folks at Unidata have done some
work with this in the IDV.

Tom

Andrea Antonello wrote:

I am trying to create a toolbox that is able to modify shapefiles.
My first approach is the existing DirectManipulationRendererJ3D, but as
I try it with the code below, it gives me:

null: DirectManipulationRendererJ3D.doTransform in the lower left corner
of the display.

           Coordinate[] tmpCoord = coords.elementAt(i);
           int np = tmpCoord.length;
           float[][] samples = new float[2][np];
           for (int j = 0; j < np; j++) {
               samples[0][j] = (float) tmpCoord[j].x;
               samples[1][j] = (float) tmpCoord[j].y;
           }

           // the lines
           Gridded2DSet tmpLines = new Gridded2DSet(earth, samples,
                   samples[0].length);
           // create a DataReference for river system
           DataReference rivers_ref = new DataReferenceImpl("rivers");
           rivers_ref.setData(tmpLines);

           ConstantMap[] colorMapLines = { new ConstantMap(1, Display.Red),
                   new ConstantMap(0, Display.Green),
                   new ConstantMap(0, Display.Blue),
                   new ConstantMap(3f, Display.LineWidth) };
           display1.addReferences(new DirectManipulationRendererJ3D(),
                   rivers_ref, colorMapLines);