Re: FW: Problem with DumpType

Curtis:

Thanks for fixing this.

Ken --  I have a Windows machine and use 'nmake' all the time to rebuilt VisAD:
from the c:\src\visad directory:  "nmake -f makefile.winnt compile"

Some time ago, there was a volunteer to create an 'ant' build file for
visad, but I've not heard back from them.

I'll be doing a VisAD release either late this week or early next --
I'm just back from a 3 week holiday on the other side of the planet
and not fully recovered ;-)

tom

On 6/13/06, Curtis Rueden <ctrueden@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ken,

>     I did, however, find what appears to be a bug in DumpType.java, line
> 325.  This routine does not write to an output stream as advertised.  It
> writes to System.out whether you specify an OutputStream or not.  The
> problem seems to be in dumpMT, which doesn't use os.

Indeed. I have committed a fix to DumpType.java in CVS. There will be a new
release of VisAD at some point, but probably easiest until then is to
prepend a folder for modifications to your CLASSPATH. For example, you could
set the CLASSPATH to "C:\java;C:\java\visad.jar;." which would look for
class files beneath the C:\java directory structure before resorting to
pulling stuff from visad.jar. This way, you can make a C:\java\visad\jmet
folder and have DumpType.java in there, with the fix, and continue
developing your application.

I have made the fixed DumpType.java temporarily available from:
    http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/curtis/DumpType.java

http://skyking.microscopy.wisc.edu/curtis/DumpType.class

Please let me know if it does not solve your problem (I did only minimal
testing).

>     I am using the visad.jar I recently downloaded and working on Windows.
> I still have not got it to build.  Gnumake (from Cygwin) fails and so does
> Nmake.  I have not had time to work it out.  I would like to build it in
> Eclipse, anyway.  The JAR is sufficient to use it, though.  (I do have an
> Eclipse RCP application working with it, combining Swing and SWT.)

I do not know Eclipse, but am familiar with building VisAD from the command
line on Windows and Linux. If you continue to have problems or questions,
ask away.

-Curtis

--
Tom Whittaker