RE: collaborative GUI

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.

>I don't understand what 'registered with RendererControl' means? What
method are you invoking to register?

Here 'registered' means fetching a RendererControl from Host. I used
localRendCtl = (RendererControl
)localDisplay.getControl(RendererControl.class); to fetch
RendererControl from Host. It worked well.
This was not one of my questions. Sorry about the confusion.

>VisAD has built-in support collaboration between remote Displays, as
described at:

  http://icecube.wisc.edu/~dglo/visad-collab/index.html

>The IDV supports remote collaboration using VisAD but
>without VisAD's built-in support. Perhaps someone from
>Unidata can describe how that works.

>Note there are complex synchronization problems with
>remote collaboration, so if you can use the built-in
>support or copy the IDV approach, it will make life
>easier.

Yes, I've gone through all the tutorials suggested above and invoked
most of the mothods in my application.
I mainly use the visad built-in collaboration support so far. Based on
RendererControl, all graphics widgets associated with Controls and
ScalarMaps worked very well.

I found that when a DataReference has been removed in Host, Clients
didn't response. After investagation on VisAD, it seems that
REFERENCE_REMOVED event was not sent to clients. So I made some changes
to VisAD system to make this part work. Although I knew this may bring
some trouble later on, but I have no better choice at this moment.

To those self-developed graphics widgets (e.g. ComboBox, Button etc.)
which neither belongs to Controls nor ScalarMap. I still have no idea
how to make them collaborative.

I will follow your suggestion to see if IDV's approach can be invoked in
my application.

Thank you very much.

Mike