Re: Porblems with off screen rendering of contour lines....

Hi Surekha,

Can you call getImage() and print using your original
on-screen DisplayImplJ3D? If so, that would be the
easiest way to work around this problem.

We've known about problems with getImage() from offscreen
DisplayImplJ3Ds for quite a while, but despite some
intensive effort haven't been able to fix them. The fact
that you see problems with contour lines but not with
surfaces is a sign that this is a problem in Java3D or
even OpenGL, since the VisAD code for getImage() doesn't
know anything about lines versus surfaces.

There is a VisAD standard test (that we run before
every release) for getImage() from an offscreen
DisplayImplJ3D, in the main() method of
visad/java3d/VisADCanvasJ3D.java. This repeatedly
calls getImage() from an offscreen DisplayImplJ3D and
then displays the returned BufferedImage in a JPanel
via a call to drawImage(). The test in the main()
method of VisADCanvasJ3D renders a simple texture
map, but I was able to change it to render contour
lines by appending:

  display.addMap(new ScalarMap(vis_radiance, Display.IsoContour));

to the string of addMap() calls in the main() method.

When I did this, the JPanel didn't display the contour
lines until the second call to drawImage(). This suggests
a possible work-around for your problem: replicate the
logic of main() calling getImage() twice (or more if
necessary) with calls to Thread.sleep(1000) between
successive calls to getImage(). Kind of a hack, but it
might work.