Re: Visad and hdf5 example

I would also like to add that the latest version of the Java NetCDF (alpha release) supports readding "most" of HDF5 natively, but using the NetCDF APIs. It is (going to be) an excellent alternative for people who have to work with HDF5.

<http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf-java/index.html>

Also, if you're interested in rapid development, and are new to Java, you might consider using the Jython approach. Our work here shows that development of even large applications is expedited using this approach. You may need to (later) convert some of the Jython methods or sections of code into Java for performance (iterations seems to be the big issue).

<http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/visadtutor/index.html>

Best wishes,

tom

Bill Hibbard wrote:

Hi Felix,

The code for importing from HDF5 to VisAD was written by the
HDF team at NCSA. It does note support all HDF5 files, only
a (small) subset, and it require the HDF5 native libraries
(written in C++). The installation for these libraries changed
since they first wrote their HDF5 importer - I wouldn't know
how to install them any more.

We recommend using netCDF instead of HDF, if at all possible.
The netCDF importer was written by the netCDF team at Unidata,
who have been partners in the VisAD development. It is pure
Java, supports all netCDF files, and works very well.

Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Space Science and Engineering Center
Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies
Phone/VoiceMail: 608.262.2759