VisAD and transparency

I have encountered a problem with VisAD and isosurface transparency.  From
browsing the archives of the list, it seems that there may be a problem with
transparency in general, due to a lack of a z-sort in Java3D.  I am not sure
whether this issue has been resolved in Java3D 1.3.

Transparency seems to work, for the most part, except that I get 'banding'
in the resulting image.  The banding changes as I rotate the image.  For
example, see
http://www.webmo.net/test/moviewer.jpg

Are such problems to be expected, due to deficiencies in Java3D?  Or are
there possible workarounds?  I have tried changing the transparency mode in
the GraphicsControl, which does not seem to help (or hurt).

    JR Schmidt
    UW-Madison