Re: p.s., Re: VisAD 3D surface graph performance

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your reply. I should preface my response by indicating my hope that you saw the second addendum message that I sent out. The number in my initial mail (380) referred to a single "group" of Depth parameters. There were 20 such groups in my data set, so the true number of points was 7600. But even that number is small compared to the 42000 that you mentioned in your first reply! I think that you nailed my problem, though, in your p.s. I am using the TextAdapter to read in my data files, and I looked at TextAdapter.java to see what was going on. Sure enough, based on my defined math type, it is creating an Irregular set using the Delaunay algorithm. I did some brief research online and found out that performance of Delaunay can be as high as O(n^2), so that helped me to understand what was happening. I read one post where someone was plotting over 100,000 points using the algorithm, and had to wait for over 8 hours for the calculations to complete. I read about other algorithms out there, but Delaunay seems to be one that is prevalent. I feel better just having an explanation for what I am seeing. If I have time, I might do a little more research into the Delaunay algorithm. One post suggested that a way to reduce performance time is to pre-sort one of the vectors involved in the calculations (the vector that is associated with the most dramatic changes in data values). They indicated that such a step could result in a performance savings of 25%. But, like I said, this is just cursory research.

At any rate, I have been very pleased with VisAD, and this is really the only issue that I've run into (although I've had a few questions along the way, as my recent posts will attest ;). And it's not really an issue, in the long run. For large data sets I can always plot 3D line graphs, which are extremely quick.

Thanks again!
lzf

Bill Hibbard wrote:

Another possibility is that you are constructing an
IrregularSet in your data, which can be slow. But
Test29 constructs and displays a colored surface from
an Irregular2DSet of 1024 points in just a few seconds.