Re: Problem with off-screen render

A quick update for any one else who may find themselves in the
same boat ... A poster on the Java3D list indicated that Java3D
does not work in the headless mode (my hack below produced
a GraphicsConfiguraiton that led to a ClassCastException deeper
down inside Java3D).

So, can you use VisAD from within servlets? Yes, but in a more
round-about way.  This is what I did:
 1) I created a Java application that had a visible JFrame. The
server dynamically creates images and writes them out to the
webserver directory.
2) The servlet opens up a socket connection to the application,
and passes on the request. The app creates the image, writes it
out, and notifies the servlet via the same socket.
3) The servlet returns an image tag back to the client.

This works, but as would be expected with off-screen rendering,
it is quite slow.

Lak

Valliappa Lakshmanan wrote:

Bill,

Here's a hack that works -- read an image, and use the
Graphics2D from that Image to get a GraphicsConfiguration.
Perhaps, you can change one of the APIs to accept
such a graphics configuration from the application,
since you probably don't want the VisAD classes reading local
files :)

Thanks for your help.

Lak

// run as:     java -Djava.awt.headless=true OffscreenImage

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.image.*;
import javax.imageio.*;
import java.io.*;

class OffscreenImage
{
 {
    BufferedImage template = ImageIO.read( new File("test.jpg") );
    Graphics2D g = template.createGraphics();
    GraphicsConfiguration config = g.getDeviceConfiguration();
    if ( config != null )
       System.out.println( "Got valid GraphicsConfiguration" );
 }
}

Bill Hibbard wrote:

Hi Lak,