Re: Axis Title Problem

Hi David-

David Papurt wrote:
I am using multiple (3 or 4) Y-axes in a single 2-D display.  I am
having a problem where the title of the Nth Y-axis overlaps and appears
on top of the (N+1)st Y-axis.  The more characters there are in the
labels of the Nth axis, the further the title of the Nth axis is pushed
into the space of the (N+1)st axis.

I can see that this would happen and is related to the change you
made below.

This didn't happen with earlier releases of VisAD.  I am guessing that
it is related to a change I saw described on VisAD mailing list this
past January.  I pasted some of the earlier posting below for reference.

Is there some way to control, and decrease the horizontal distance
between a Y-axis and its title?  I only have two labels on each Y-axis,
at the very top and bottom, so my title won't interfere with my labels. That would solve my problem, but I could not see how to do it.

For now, there is no way to control this.  However, you could use the
setSide() method of AxisScale to put some of your axes on the opposite
side of the graph.

Or, is there some way to control and increase the horizontal distance
between adjacent Y-axes?  That also would solve my problem, but again I
couldn't figure out how to do it.

Finally, is there a way to make the label text of the Y-axes vertical
(like the title text) instead of horizontal?  This would also work.

Not currently, but Sylvain Letourneau recently made some enhancements
to the text drawing in VisAD and indicated he was going to look at
the AxisScale class to support vertical labels, so maybe he will
address this.  However, that is all in his spare time.

I don't know if I am missing something.  If someone could tell me how to
place multiple Y-axes on a 2-D display and not have a title overlap the
next axis, I would appreciate it.

Right now, using the AxisScale.setSide() method is the best solution.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm