Re: Which "Set"?

Hi Bill and group. Thanks for the input. I've been chewing on this and reading the list, but have some additional questions below.

<snip>

When the user fixes an e0 value, construct a Gridded2DSet with
manifold dimension = 1, over domain (r, e). Basically, this
would be a set of (r, e0) for a sequence of r values. Then
resample your FlatField ((r, e) -> (h, s)) to this Gridded2DSet,
and display the FlatField returned by this call to resample().

The problem here is that I would like the user to choose a different e (eX) and have it update the display. Please see the link below for an illustration:

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross/VCPRPE/Examples/vcpTest.html

I guess the more basic question I have is, is there a way for VisAD to handle variable domains? resample() remaps the range to the existing domain of a FlatField, but is there a way to reset/change the domain and resample() while the program is running?

With ScalarMaps h -> YAxis and s -> XAxis, you'll get a scatter
diagram. Given that h and s are both dependent variables with
no simple functional dependency between them, in general this
must be a scatter diagram rather than a line graph. If you have
prior knowledge that there is some simple graph relation between
them, you can extract their values from the resampled FlatField
and construct a FlatField with MathType (h -> s) or (s -> h)
and appropriate topology.

Indeed the relationship should be a line graph (although the relationship may not be so "simple ;-). If you have a copy of Doviak and Zrnic handy, I am calculating equations (2.28b and c - pg. 21) and then trying to replicate Figure 2.8 (p. 23) though with only one line at a time based on the user's choice of e.

Note in your code 'new Irregular1DSet(h, h_vals )' can be a
Gridded1DSet as long as the h_vals array is sorted (can be
either ascending or descending).

I played around with both and found them to produce the same output. Is the GriddedSet more efficient than the IrregularSet?

Thanks again for your input!

-kevin.

Kevin L. Manross        [KD5MYD]               (405)-366-0557
CIMMS Research Associate               kevin.manross@xxxxxxxx
[NSSL-WRDD/SWATN]           http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~kmanross

"My opinions are my own and not representative of CIMMS, NSSL,
 NOAA or any affiliates"