Re: Extreme memory usage

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Bill Hibbard wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> >From the code you sent I can't tell why Java is using 300 MB.
> I don't know how many samples in your Sets or what Set class
> you are using, I don't know the value of _plotCountTotal, and I
> don't now whether you are using DisplayImplJ2D or DisplayImplJ3D.
> Is there only one DisplayImpl? Java3D is hungry for memory. It
> is also true that VisAD uses some temporary memory in computing
> its data depictions (not as much as it used to, thanks to recent
> work by Jeff McWhirter). However, if really know the sizes of
> all the things involved in a display, then we can usually
> understand memory use.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill

Thanks Bill.

I am actually using VisAD code from last summer.  Half a year ago or so I
did try to move to a newer VisAD codebase, but ran into problems with it
and didn't have time to work through them at that point.  If you think
that this could be [part of] the problem I can do it now.

_lineSets and _pointSets are arrays size 1 of Linear1DSet's.  The sets are
length 48.

_plotCountTotal is 120.

This is with a DisplayImplJ3D with a 2d renderer so that I can use the
rubberband zooming..

OK, I just ran a test with a DisplayImplJ2D and it works and uses 61M.
About 48M as everything is loading.  This still seems pretty large to me
considering the amount of data being loaded is only 120x48.

Let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Ben