Re: Repainting images in JyVisAD

Hi Chi-chi...

Thanks for the clarification. Since you're really changing the sampling domain (and not the data values) for each "x", you will probably need to create that many number of FlatFields (setSamples() is a way to specify new samples, but in the same domain).

Since you know at start up, you could actually create all of them and use the SelectField class inside subs.py to then show which ever one you want.

If you do, however, want to only make the new FlatFields on a button press, then what you should do is to use only one Display and whenever you want to change

1) remove the previous data from the display
2) add the new data

You do this by dealing with the "reference" to the FlatField. This reference is created when you do the addData(). For example

if ref is not None: dispt.removeReference(ref)
ref = dispt.addData("twisted",twist)

The first line removes the previous ref(erence) and then the next line adds in a new one.

Hope that helps.

tom

Chi-chi Ekweozor wrote:

That was pretty detailed, thanks for that.  To clarify something that may
not have been clear from my original post, I'm trying to create a stretched
image of a different size when the user clicks once on one of several
JButtons.

The JButton labelled "x2" is but the first of 4; the others are labelled
"x3", "x4" and "x5".  Each button will_only_be_pressed_once.   The idea is
that each one 'controls' the size of the twist_grid by defining a fixed
multiplier for t in
(w-(h*t) below:

def twist1(event):
   twist_grid = [ [w for h in xrange(height) for w in xrange(width)] ,
              [(w-(h*t)) for h in xrange(height) for w in

xrange(width)]]

t was 0.5 in the last example.  This was the quickest way I could manipulate
the FlatField that is defined by the twist grid and thus generate different
sized stretched images...

It follows that there is something like:

def twist2(event):
   twist_grid = [ [w for h in xrange(height) for w in xrange(width)] ,
              [(w-(h*0.3)) for h in xrange(height) for w in

xrange(width)]]

and so on, for each JButton...

Following my newbie (and rather confused!) logic, even if I removed the
panels and layout stuff from twist1() (and twist2(), twist3() and twist4())
I'd still have the problem of having to update the image on the screen
following the button click because using just:
    twist.setSamples(img.getValues(Boolean(0)),0)

within twist1() eg:

def twist1(event):
     twist.setSamples(img.getValues(Boolean(0)),0)

will not help. This is because 'twist' only relates to the first
Gridded2DSet which won't change.

Perhaps, I'm being dense in my understanding of 'setSamples', I've taken the
usage of that method to be the same form as that used previously in the
code... i.e. setSamples(img.getValues(Boolean(0)), 0)  Please tell me what
I'm missing.

My understanding is that there'll also be
twist.2setSamples(img.getValues(Boolean(0)),0), up to
twist3.setSamples(img.getValues(Boolean(0)),0) within seperate 'pre-made
Flatfields' for each but the problem of updating the display for each image
size will remain.

I took out the stuff you said to and no longer got a stretched image in my
prototype, frame maximised or not.  Probably botched it so I'm still working
on it.

Cheers for all your help.
Chi-chi