how to animate a large data set

Hi, I am trying to find an example of animating a rather large data set.
Specifically, I have a sequence of 480x480 images (about 1000) of them, that
I would like to animate.
The simplest method I used was to
use the DataReference method setData() but it was a bit too slow.

Then I tried to use a time field using the FieldImpl method along with a
setSample();
This quickly filled up memory, (I only could store about 40 images).

It seems that the more prudent method would be to generate the images, store in
a file (using
some convenient VisAD friendly format) and then read and display them.

Does anyone have a snippet of code that may already do this?

Also, is there any way to maybe save the animation sequence to a sequence of
jpegs or mpegs for
later playback??

Thanks.
Chris