Re: BOUNCE visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Message too long (>40000 chars) (fwd)

Ben-

Bill Hibbard wrote:

Please send all questions to visad-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
instead of just me. For example, someone else will have
to answer your last question about clipping Shape files
by rectangles. So send to visad-list and keep messages
small.

I'll take a stab at this.  See below.

Your problem looks to me like some kind of problem
combining the ScalarMaps appropriate for your two data
objects.

I agree with Bill.  It looks to me like you are creating
a color shaded view of the lat/lon values, or you have
your temp mapped to RGB and the color table set to white (
or constant maps equalling white).  Please review your
ScalarMaps.  You should have Lat -> Y, Lon ->X, value -> IsoContour,
(and optionally) value -> RGB.

<snip>
Bill,

That is what I originally tried, but I couldn't seem to get the two to
work together. I have attached some screen shots of my dilemma. Maybe
something will catch your eye that makes sense.

Image1.gif = my program that displays a portion of the shapefile and
this works fine.

Image2.gif = my program that displays the temperature in contours across
the same lat/lon area, this one works fine.

Image3.gif = I combine the two by adding a reference to the Image2.gif
data from the Image1.gif application. A white box appears... I double
checked and the white box is covering exactly the same points as the
Image2.gif application. So I am not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

See above.  If you want your map to just cover the region of your
contours, set the range on the x and y axes to cover that area.

Image4.gif - I took off the constructor that only views a portion of the
shapefile and let it display everything, and if you look closely on the
East coast the little white box is still there and it looks to be in the
correct spot on that display as well.

This makes sense.

Also I noticed that image1.gif and image3.gif have a little different
skewed view of the shapefile?

This will be due to the range setting of the ScalarMaps I presume.

And one final thing I am wondering about, I use the ShapefileAdapter
constructor with a Rectangle2D parameter to only show a portion, and it
won't cut the borders (Is that by design)

Probably.  I'll talk to the developer and see what the design was.
It probably says that if a shape is in the rectangle, use the whole
shape.  Is that what you are asking?

If you want to have just the region of your data displayed, set the
ranges on the lat/lon axes and use the setClip method of
DisplayRendererJ*D to clip at the bounds to remove excess map lines.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm