Re: paths to java runtime in windows

Hi Frank...

Just a follow-up. Normally during a "real" install of the JRE or JDK, the Sun installer puts a copy of java.exe (and a few other things) in c:\winnt\. The first think I do after an install is to delete these.

I'm sure Sun does this so java.exe will automatically be in your path. Problem is when you have multiple versions of java (as I do for testing), the one in c:\winnt will always get found and used first...

tom

Frank Gibbons wrote:
Tom,

Thanks for that. You were right. I had checked my path, and couldn't see "JavaSoft" anywhere in it. However, I did some reorganization on my filesystem before the holidays, so perhaps it was a link, or whatever the Windows equivalent of a UNIX link is called. In any case, the problem was resolved by explicitly specifying the path for java, to use the one supplied with your installer, and it all works now. Now if only I could get it working on Linux as easily... :) That's another day's work.

Thanks again Tom, and happy new year to all you VisADders.

-Frank Gibbons