Re: 3D Interpolation

I want to point out that just because the points are "not equal
distributed" does not mean that you need an Irregular3DSet. If your data
have a gridded topology, then you can use a Gridded3DSet which will give
you better performance. Equally distributed data can use a Linear*Set.

Doug

Bill Hibbard wrote:

> > I have a lot of points (not equal distributed) in an 3D-plot. Now I want
> > to interpolate (linear, quadratic, ...) these points. Is this possible
> > with VisAD? Suggestions?
>
> Yes. Use the locations of the points to construct an Irregular3DSet
> (which will implicitly invoke a Delaunay algorithm). The use the
> Irregular3DSet as the domain Set of a FlatField, with dependent
> values in the Field's range. Then construct a Set of locations you
> want to interpolate to (may be a SingletonSet for a single point,
> or any other visad.*Set class), and pass it to the resample()
> method of your FlatField. The range value of the returned FlatField
> will be interpolated values of your dependent values. Note
> Irregular3DSet uses linear interpolation over the tetrahedra
> found by the Delaunay algorithm.
>
> Good luck,
> Bill
> Bill Hibbard, SSEC, 1225 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI  53706
> hibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/vis.html

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |