Re: unix or windows?

  • Subject: Re: unix or windows?
  • From: Doug Lindholm <lind@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:51:53 -0600
I do all my Java development on Linux (with JBuilder, not Visual Age).
I'm still having trouble with 3D performance and stability on Linux
(though it has gotten better) so we deploy the application on NT (using
OpenGL, not DirectX). The beauty of Java is that I only have to copy
some jarred up class files to the NT box for my application to work.
"Write once, run anywhere" is a reality for me.

Doug

"From: Bill Hibbard " wrote:

> Hi Adele,
>
> Any OS that supports Java 2 and Java3D will work. Sun
> supplies these for Windows, Solaris and Linux (I guess
> the Linux Java3D comes from Blackdown). If there are no
> other factors, I'd probably pick Linux. I think the fastest
> Java implementation is supposed to be the one from IBM for
> Linux.
>
> I suspect others on this list know more than I do about
> these matters, so hopefully you'll here from them.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
> Bill Hibbard, SSEC, 1225 W. Dayton St., Madison, WI  53706
> hibbard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  608-263-4427  fax: 608-263-6738
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/vis.html
>
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Adele Cutler wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the parallel coordinates help, Bill!
> >
> > Now I have what is maybe a really dumb question.
> >
> > Is there a preferred machine/OS/development environment
> > for VisAD?
> >
> > I'm asking because I need to buy a new computer and I
> > don't know what to buy. I'm very comfortable with unix,
> > which I currently use with X-win32 from a PC. I've used
> > sparcs in the past and I'm comfortable with them too.
> > I've been using IBM Visual Age for Java and this seems
> > very nice, but it's my understanding that this only works
> > on a PC. So I'm torn...
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > Adele.

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |