Re: VisaD Tutorial, Section 2.1, P2_01 Application

Even though I have a 3 button mouse on my NT box, I still need to use
the right and left button together to get the correct "middle" button
behavior.

Doug

Ugo Taddei wrote:

> Hi Luke,
>
> "Luke A. Catania" wrote:
> >
> > I am working with the P2_01 java app in the tutorial and the figure in this
> > example shows a cursor on the plot, and the value of where the cursor is is
> > displayed in the upper left corner.  But when I run the example, I can't do
> > anything but move the graph around within the frame by left clicking on it
> > and dragging the mouse.  I can also zoom in and out by shift clicking.  How
> > is the cursor and getting data implemented in this example and if it is not,
> > is there an example in a tutorial that does show how to do this?
>
> Section 1.3 (at the very bottom of the section, just under the
> screenshot) explains it as follows:
>
> "By pressing and dragging with the left mouse button on the display you
> can move the graph around. By shift-clicking and moving the mouse up and
> down you can zoom in and out.  Pressing and dragging the middle mouse
> button (on two-button mouse emulated by simultaneously clicking both
> buttons) shows a cross cursor that moves with the mouse. The values of
> the RealTypes at the cursor's position are shown on the upper left
> corner of the display."
>
> Thus you can get the cursor drawn in all tutorial examples (clicking
> with the right mouse button OR simultaneously clicking with both mouse
> buttons - left and right - in case you mouse has 2 buttons only). In
> fact, all VisAD displays (2- or 3D) have this behaviour.
>
> By the way, here's the tip of the day ;-), the method
>
> visad.DisplayRenderer.getCursor()
>
> will return an array giving the cursor location as (XAxis, YAxis, ZAxis)
> coordinates.
>
> To get the display renderer, remember of the tip of yesterday:
>
> DisplayRenderer dRenderer = display.getDisplayRenderer();
>
> where we used the renderer to change the background color.
>
> float[] backColor = colorToFloats(Color.lightGray);
> dRenderer.setBackgroundColor(backColor[0], backColor[1],backColor[2]);
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ugo

| Doug Lindholm, Software Engineer          |  E-mail: lind@xxxxxxxx   |
| Research Applications Program             |   Phone: 303-497-8374    |
| National Center for Atmospheric Research  |                          |
| P.O. Box 3000                             |     There's no place     |
| Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000              |        like $HOME        |