20000104: The JMET Interactive Meteorology System using VisAD

>From: Jim Edwards <jedwards@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim-

Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) has been developing the visad.jmet
classes.  He's out of town until the week after next so I'll try to
answer some of your questions (since I've been helping him with some
of the issues).

>I'm interested in learning more about JMET, but the link from the visad
>page (http://allegro.ssec.wisc.edu) doesn't work.  Can anyone fill me in
>or give me a better link ?

As the VisAD web page says, the eventual goal of this package would be a
set of classes for analysis and display of meteorological data based on
VisAD. Unidata has a similar project of developing components that can
be used for meteorological display and analysis but it is not entirely
based on VisAD. Right now we are building prototype applications, one of
which you can see on the VisAD page (the sat image viewer).

As for visad.jmet, right now it contains a gridded model data viewer
that can display gridded data from netCDF files. If you want to try
it out, send me a message and I can get a netCDF grid file and the
necessary McIDAS map files. allegro was replaced with a new machine,
but that machine is currently unavailable. I'll see Tom next week and
mention the broken link to him.

Please contact me off line if you want to try out the ShowNCEPModel
class.

Don Murray
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/