Re: Contouring and Flow vector access

Hi Edward,

You can extract geometry data from VisAD scene graphs, and in fact
there is a long discussion thread about this issue in Unidata's
VisAD mailing list archive:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/russ/visad/

under the subject "Delaunay and Java3D".

Basically, in a DisplayImplJ3D you do something like:

  ScalarMap xmap = new ScalarMap(whatever, Display.XAxis);
  display.addMap(xmap);
  xmap.setRange(-1.0, 1.0); // also need this for any ScalarMaps
                            // to YAxis or ZAxis, to make sure
                            // display values equal data values
  DefaultRendererJ3D contour_renderer = new DefaultRendererJ3D();
  display.addReferences(contour_renderer, contour_data_ref);
  DefaultRendererJ3D flow_renderer = new DefaultRendererJ3D();
  display.addReferences(flow_renderer, contour_data_ref);

  DisplayListener listener = new YourDisplayListenerClass();
  display.addDisplayListener(listener);

Then in the displayChanged() method of listener:

  if (e.getId() == DisplayEvent.TRANSFORM_DONE) {
    BranchGroup contour_branch = contour_renderer.getBranch();
    BranchGroup flow_branch = flow_renderer.getBranch();
    // now the Shape3Ds you want are the children or
    // grandchildren or greatgrandchildren of these branchs
    // (I'm not sure which offhand)
    // then:

    LineArray contour_geometry
      (LineArray) contour_shape.getGeometry();
    int ncontour_vertices = contour_geometry.getVertexCount();
    float[] contour_coordinates = new float[3 * ncontour_vertices];
    contour_shape.getCoordinates(0, contour_coordinates);
    // now each group of six values in contour_coordinates defines
    // a line segment of the contours: x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2
    // do not enable contour labels, or your line segments will
    // include the font strokes for the label characters

    // similarly for flow, but note they will include line segments
    // for the little arrow heads in addition to the arrow shafts
  }