20001112: OpenMap

>From: "Nash'at Ahmad" <nashat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Nash'at-

>Thanks Bill. I had another question regarding openmap. Has anyone
>used openmap with visad. Or if VisAD can read a map database such
>as DCW and display it.

Unidata has developed classes for reading map files in ESRI
Shapefile format which can be used with VisAD. We have a
ucar.visad.ShapefileAdapter class that will create a UnionSet of
SampledSets representing the Shapefile. I notice that OpenMap has their
own classes for reading Shapefiles, but have not investigated OpenMap
very much. You might be able to do something similar by creating a
DCWAdapter that adapts the DCW data in OpenMap to a VisAD Data object.
I'm not familiar with the DCW format. You can access our code from the
link off the VisAD homepage or directly at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/community/committees/metapps

Don
Unidata WWW Server               http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/
McIDAS Demonstration Machine  http://mcdemo.unidata.ucar.edu/